Join the Fight for Sustainable Seafood!
Overfishing is the biggest issue our oceans face today. Join Canada’s growing sustainable seafood movement as Canada’s top chefs compete head-to-head for the title of 2013 Ocean Wise Chowder Chowdown Champion. Top Ocean Wise chefs compete head-to-head in Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto for the title of 2013 Ocean Wise Chowder Chowdown Champion in each city. Taste each of the delectable original chowders, paired with local craft beer, and vote for your favourite, all in support of sustainable seafood.
Toronto Ocean Wise Chef Finalists
- Chef Michael Wilson | Luma
- Chef Charlotte Langley | Catch Seafood Restaurant
- Chef Stuart Cameron | Starfish Oyster Bed and Grill
- Chef Leanne English | Sodexo Canada
- Chef Doug Neigel | Trattoria Mercatto
- Chef Koichi Fujioka | Hapa Izakaya
- Chef Maxine Knight | The Healthy Butcher
- Chef Sonia Potichnyj | John & Sons Oyster House
- Chef Travis Cropley | Pure Spirits Oyster House
- Chef Felipe Faccioli | Fishbar
- Chef Siobhan Dolan | The Sweet Potato
- Chef Thomas Heitz | Port
- Chef Joshua Dyer | EPIC, Fairmont Royal York
- Chef Ibrahim Tams, Earls Kitchen and Bar King Street
Calgary Ocean Wise Chef Finalists
- Chef Ron Jacobson | Bistro Rouge
- Executive Chef Chris Dewling | Blink Restaurant
- Chef Kyle Groves | Catch Restaurant & Oyster Bar at the Hyatt Regency
- Chef Paul McGreevy |CRAFT Beer Market
- Chef Darren MacLean | Downtownfood
- Chef Justin Leboe | Model Milk
- Chef Andrew Keen | Redwater Rustic Grille
- Chef Andrew Winfield | River Café
- Chef Dustin Schafer | Sky 360
- Executive Chef Paul Peddle | The Rimrock at the Fairmont Palliser
- Chef Rebecca House | Thomsons Restaurant at the Hyatt Regency
Vancouver Ocean Wise Chef Finalists
- Chef Chris Whitaker | Forage at the Listel Hotel (Defending Champion)
- Executive Chef Ned Bell | YEW Restaurant + Bar at the Four Seasons
- Chef Aleks Kornat | Manhattan Restaurant at Delta Vancouver Suites
- Chef Michael Lackner | Sodexo Canada
- Chef Joanna Astudillo | Vancouver Aquarium Catering & Events
- Executive Chef Eric Pateman | Edible Canada
- Chef Nicolas Hipperson | C Restaurant
- Executive Chef Dana Hauser | Herons West Coast Kitchen at Fairmont Waterfront
- Chef Hiro Amano | COAST Restaurant
- Chef Kevin Benes | Savoury Chef Foods Catering Company
- Chef Benjamin Curtis | The August Jack
- Chef Paul Cecconi | Brodo Kitchen & Catering with CodFathers Seafood Market
- Chef Tim Evans | The Cascade Room
Tickets are in all three cities are $50 plus tax. Tickets include samples of all chowders and beer pairings. The Ocean Wise Chowder Chowdown is a 19+ event.
November 18, 2013 at 7 p.m., Hyatt Regency Calgary
November 19, 2013 at 7 p.m., Fermenting Cellar at The Distillery Historic District
November 20, 2013 at 7 p.m., Vancouver Aquarium
Purchase your tickets early to avoid disappointment.
Uniiverse, the marketplace for local events and services, has released its iPhone app. The free app will help people try new activities, and meet new people in an authentic way. Users can discover amazing events nearby, see what friends are doing and offering, and buy tickets directly on their phone.
Event organizers and freelance service providers can use the app to create listings to sell tickets, manage online bookings, and process payments from their guests. Not only is the app free to download, there are zero subscription costs, and zero event posting costs.
There is a huge selection of listings on Uniiverse in Toronto, including many awesome food events, film festivals, networking events, craft workshops, fitness activities, and services such as affordable house cleaning, and dog walking. As frequent users of the service for all of our events, we highly suggest checking it out!
If you have an iPhone or iPad, learn more or download the app from www.uniiverse.com/app.
It’s #AWESTRUCK preview night at NightMarketTO! We’ll be hosting a FREE preview of this weekend’s Awestruck event this Wednesday September 18, 2013 at The Night Market.
Featured Awestruck vendors include:
Jonny Blonde Food Truck, The Frankie Fettuccine Food Truck Co., Choco-Churros, Big Grill Catering & BBQ, La Brea Food, Samuel Adams, and car2go
Plus NM Vendors including:
Saha International Cuisine, Mad Mexican, Eudora’s Fine Foods, Smash Cake, All Mine Caramels, Dine N’ Dash, Dystynct Boutique, Tiger Lili Jewelry, Tocino Boys, Westend Food Co-Op and more!
Back again for a second year running, Canada’s original food truck awards mark their return to the GTA bigger and better than ever. This year there will be 50 (yes, FIFTY!) food trucks at the event. Awestruck takes place Saturday September 21, 2013 between 2-8 pm at Garrison Common, Fort York.
Tickets are $10 and are available now from:
The Culinary Adventure Company and Cheesewerks have partnered up to bring food and cheese lovers a series of exciting new experiences. The signature event is a food and film fusion series called Flix + Pix + Plates. The series will allow food lovers a chance to enjoy a unique dining experience inspired by famous feature films and other digital food media.
Launching September 17, the Flix + Pix + Plates series kicks off with Cheesewerks Kevin Durkee hosting and Chef Scott Savoie of the Culinary Adventure Co. designing a full evening of food and drink pairings to celebrate the 1991 classic Fried Green Tomatoes. Future instalments will include Ghostbusters in October and JFK in November. Flix + Pix + Plates will offer diners an all-inclusive 5-course meal with drink pairings for only $65/person or $120/couple (plus tax).
“Both our businesses are about the celebration great stories. Stories about food, stories about producers, stories about unique culinary regions and neighbourhoods. What better way to enjoy those than with a unique dining series centered around Film and Photography,” says Kevin Durkee, of Cheesewerks.
We had a chance to taste some of the offerings at a media preview recently held at Cheesewerks. The menu was based around the films that will be a part of the Flix + Pix + Plates program and included Parmesan Herb Truffle Popcorn, Southern Fried “BLT” on Crostini, Poulet a L’estragon, Mitch’s Coney Island Dogs, Tyson Shaw Slow Cooked BBQ Ribs, New England Clam Chowder with Grilled Cheese, Nova Scotia Smoked Salmon Pizza and Ratatouille Nicoise. The night was capped off with a S’mores Torching Station for dessert.
Along with the film dinner series, the new partnership will also be introducing some other culinary experiences throughout the fall.
Cheese + Cheers - Sunday School Series (Starts September 22)
- Enjoy a 3 hour afternoon classroom of learning, pairing and appreciating the best of artisan cheese, craft beer, wine, spirits and drink. $49/person.
Urban Ale + Cheese Trail - (Start Date TBD)
- A full day of craft beer and artisan cheese discovery across the GTA. Jump on our bus to meet local craft brew masters, cheese producers, and mongers before returning to Cheesewerks for a dining and tasting experience. $125/person.
Melt the Market - (Starts September 27)
- The most unique way to discover Canadian Cheese and the No. 1 food market in the world. Join Chef Scott to shop the market for incredible cheese and ingredients, then meet up with the Big Cheese Kevin to lean how to melt them into fondue, raclette and other incredible ooey gooey dishes. Full meal and pairings included. $125/person.